May 14, 2018

This and That in Spring


We were blessed to go visit friends of ours and their lovely little farm.  Marigold is holding one of their newborn bunnies.
I was a bit fascinated by the sweet potato project on their counter.  Might have to try this one.
Prepping the gardens. Those are some of our solar panels. We live entirely off the grid. "We" (which doesn't really include me) make all our own electricity.  Crazy life.

Wanted to soften up the soil a little so we added some peat moss and vermiculite.  We'll put some sand in where we plan the watermelons.

The rhubab was up and this garden was pretty easy to clean up so we planted a bunch of other stuff in here. Next year we need to remember to divide up some of the rhubarb...

We've had quite a bit of rain. On this particular day one of the children described it (I was not at home) as 3 inches of rain in 10 minutes. I guess it was pretty heavy rain. Unfortunately between the basement door being left open and a pile of gravel strategically placed right near the door making a lovely slide for a torrential rain slide, 1/2 our basement was flooded with a couple/few inches of rain. Seriously.  So, we had a flood cleaning party which lasted until about 11:30 pm that night. (My kids can work! They really can!)
We went to a homeschooling jump time at Skyzone.  Not something we do often, because even at great deals, it all adds up... quickly. But once a year works.




Since I seem to always have something  or many somethings on my plate, while they jumped I sorted music from a Mass our Young Ladies' Choir had just finished singing for. I love killing multiple birds with one stone.... and yes, that is how I get things done... I'm a master multi-tasker. 







The Mixing Bowl Bakery makes these adorable and delicious peanut butter cups.  They are SO cute!!  They had all kinds of animals, even a hedgehog (BB if you are reading this!)
More gardening, however, I as I type we still have not planted any seeds and 48 broccoli plants and dozen cabbage plants were eating by very well meaning free range chickens.  That brought quickly on another project below...


"Mommy, will you tie this on me, I want to be a feef."  ??? "A feef?" ???  "NO! A FEEF!" It took a while to figure out he wanted to be a thief.  Practice makes perfect, so let's go... 😓
Since we went from 9" of snow to 82 degrees, my children were just absolutely boiling hot so we decided to open up the pool.  I was rather gleeful that our pool was not green with algae. Leaves and sand at the bottom but no green. Woo hoo.
He jumped in and out so fast his shirt did not even get fully dry.

And yes, it was VERY cold. Crazy children.




Rosie, Merry, and Pippin participated in an afternoon of TKD seminars. Frodo was suppose to go but ended up called to help with fences with his uncle.






Chess, chess, and more chess
I was out feeding the lambs when I heard this shuffle behind me and there was this cow standing there, just wanting to make friends. It's a bit out of my comfort zone to have a cow helping me feed lambs.
Now that is a creative way to use an old tire.

 Egg layer ducks out for a swim. Boy, oh boy were they happen little critters. I prefer my white ducks, but these were fun to watch.





 Since the free ranging chickens were eating my garden we had to quickly put together (again) the portable chicken houses. Sorry guys and gals, you lose, into the pen you will go.

 Frodo's band concert. He was given the opportunity to give a presentation on his music making.  Video below. (A video within a video... I wonder what Shakespeare would think of that?)

 Not sure what the crisis was here in the trumpet section.
 This was just absolutely comical as this over-sized truck was trying to get around the corner by the traffic circle. 

 REALLY?! Saw these in St. Vincent's. Bizarro.
 New 3-d picture on the wall.
 Eowyn's book is now on sale.
 Costume prepping. Eowyn has painted some of the costumes, The peacock one is just glorious!
That's all for now (other than videos below) as it's time to scoot off to Mass....

Videos...
Twin Flippers - Frodo and Friend  Flipping

Senior Band Presentation
Video within a video

1 comment:

  1. We'll be getting some rhubarb for our garden soon and I can't wait! I love rhubarb :p.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete