December 23, 2021

Christmas and Forgiveness

Christmas is a time when we reflect on the perfect love of God, portrayed beautifully in the picture above, note the Crucifix. God Himself came down as a mere human baby because He loves us and so desires us to be with Him in Heaven.  He suffered for us, even when we have not returned that love to Him or to the people He created for us to love in order to serve Him on this earth. 


There is a great lesson to learn in this. That we too must have perfect love... or strive for perfect love. Perfect love for *every* human being, after all, God so loved us that He sent His only-begotten Son. Having been dealt some hard blows from people who have *chosen* to be my enemies (it is not reciprocal), for whatever reason, I have spent much time praying (and weeping) that I may be truly forgiving. It hasn't been easy. at. all. In fact it has been extremely hard. But I know that what God demands of us is that we love our enemies. LOVE. Not rip apart, shred, and malign. We are on this earth for one reason.... to share in the everlasting Happiness of God in Heaven. 

'To the extent that you pray with all your soul 
for the person who slanders you,
God will make the truth known
to those who have been scandalized
 by the slander.'  
--St. Maximos the Confessor

How do we get to Heaven? By forgiveness, found in the Crucifix set before our eyes.  Forgiveness is the road to perfect freedom and happiness. To my enemies, I want you to know: 

I. Forgive. You. 

I. Love. You. 

I will let that love grow only by the Grace of Almighty God as I am incapable of it myself.  Here are some more forgiveness quotes that are very beautiful. May your hearts be filled with the depths of the love of God.

This Blood that but one drop of has the power to win 
all the world forgiveness of its world of sin.
--St. Thomas Aquinas

I am innocent and I die innocent.
I forgive with all my heart those responsible for my death,
and I ask God that the shedding of my blood
serves toward the peace of our divided Mexico.

--Saint Cristobal just before his executioners fired

Avoid slander because it is difficult to retract.
Avoid offending anyone for to ask forgiveness is not delightful.

--Saint John Cantius

....If I have actually done something to hurt you, I would ask for your forgiveness....

Let no one mourn that he has fallen again and again; 
for forgiveness has risen from the grave.

--St. John Chrysostom

If a man does what he can and is truly penitent,
however often he comes to Me for grace and pardon,
"As I live, saith the Lord God,
I desire not the death of the wicked,
but that the wicked turn from his way and live";
I will no longer remember his sins, but all will be forgiven him.

--Imitation of Christ

”If a man finds it very hard to forgive injuries, 
let him look at a Crucifix,
and think that Christ shed all His Blood for him,
and not only forgave His enemies,
but even prayed His Heavenly Father to forgive them also.
Let him remember that when he says the Pater Noster,
every day, instead of asking pardon for his sins,
he is calling down vengeance on himself.”
--Saint Philip Neri

A most blessed Christmas to you. Lovingly yours in Christ,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment