February 4, 2010

No Topic

Poppy has gotten to be the grabbiest baby at meals. On this particular night she had made a particularly fine mess of Aragorn's plate. She doesn't eat solids yet so I guess she didn't know what to do with the green bean. When all else fails, suck yer thumb.

Don't ask. Blogspot just randomly decides to flip my images sideways. I've been a bit on a hiatus from picture taking but the children still manage to sneak in some shots. This was the latest woodpile. I got home from wherever I was to find Aragorn sitting on this huge log and said usually by that point of the day they had felled (fallen?) 10 trees but so far they had only done one. Obviously this was a very large tree judging from the wood pile. Hauling and splitting wood is the Saturday event. I'm glad I'm not one of the men in the house.

Poppy is everyone's picture subject.

So is Bilbo.

Back to Poppy

Back to Bilbo. Now, Bilbo has been to the "beauty salon" very often lately, much to my chagrin.
Sam is sort of a poster child for dyselxia. I learned all I needed to learn about Dyslexia from Ron Davis' Gift of Dyslexia and I was bound and determined to have Sam overcome dyslexia, rather than just come up with coping tactics. It's alot of work. He made great strides last year using the 13 volume set from Learn To Read. Since dyslexics are picture thinkers they have many "trigger words" that they can't picture, simple words like "and" & "the". So the goal is to create images in the mind of a dyslexic so they master every word. The Learn To Read series is in pop-up format with little push buttons to hear definitions. However, that got a little young for a 13 year old so we moved on to Ron Davis' system which uses a Dictionary and Clay. The child has the "trigger word" then looks it up in the dictionary, reads the definition, reads the sentence. Then he forms his own image in his mind and produces the image in a clay model, followed finally by spelling the word in clay. The most important thing is to let the child formulate his own imagine. Sam's are interesting.
The above word was "always", his picture is of a horse jumping over a rock. I asked him how that showed "always". Well, obviously! "The horse always jumps over the rock." Of course. I couldn't resist asking him why he didn't choose a pig. Here I refer you to The Adventures of Pig-Pig

1 comment:

  1. I am retired homeschooler of 15yrs with one child that had similar problems that your son with dyslexia had. This child kept me on my knees.
    We had much success with Orton-Gillingham and Slinger videos tapes from Seton at the time. We anointed my son with St. Joseph's oil at night and did the videos by day. I tried everything but the break through came when he started drawing the letters in space. My son did the "Great Books Curriculum" with Kolbe in high school and went on to Christendom College. My son is exceeding bright which most people with this problem are. I tell you this to encourage you and to tell you if you have any problems or want to talk to anyone I am available. PS I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete