April 10, 2020

Holy Thursday and Good Friday Coronavirus Style

 We started out Holy Thursday with Tenebrae at St. John Cantius (live-stream) out of Chicago. It was beautiful! The lamenting was heart wrenching.

St. John Cantius YouTube page if you want to check it out HERE You can listen to the live streams.

After lunch we started watching the Passion...

 .... then all the cows and horses got out....

 and then it started to snow beanbag filling...

Institution of the Holy Eucharist and the Sacred Priesthood


 At 4 we watched the Institute of Christ the King Solemn High Mass live-stream out of Rockford, IL. Very lovely. And a surprise to see a friend of ours as one of the cantors.

 At 7 I could not resist tuning into St. John Cantius live-stream Mass. The music was heavenly.

 Every year for the last 12 years or so, I have taken (some of) the kids to 1-3 altars of repose on Holy Thursday evening/night. This year, Our Lord did not disappoint....

 ... a priest set up a simple outdoor altar of repose for a drive-in. It went from 10-11:00 pm. About 12 cars showed up. We were very grateful to be able to continue our tradition.

The Agony in the Garden

The arrest of Jesus

The Betrayal of Peter


Good Friday we started with St. John Cantius' Tenebrae, once again glorious. This time I printed up the booklet and we were able to sing along.

 Next we took a visit to see Frodo's soon-to-be new lodging.  A nice little duplex with an upstairs and downstairs.


 (just something I saw at a store when I went to pick up a few items, cracked me up)

 Galadriel was making bread and since we have to make so much we started making other things like bagels which have been tedious to get the knack. The key is to dip in simmering water, not boiling. The boiling water makes them go flat. Just in case you wanted to know...

 I don't know why I'd look for some recipes for Easter in this lovely cookbook on Good Friday but I was. And I was hungry. Found Cathedral cake which I'll make for after the Easter Vigil :)

Scourging at the Pillar



Ecce Homo
Behold the Man

Carrying of the Cross

Crucifixion
7 Last Words of Christ
Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. Luke 23:34
Amen I say to thee: This day thou shalt be with me in paradise. Luke 23:43
Woman, behold thy son. Son, behold thy mother.  John 19:26-27
My God, My God, what have you forsaken Me?  Matthew 27:46
I thirst.  John 19:28
It is consumated.  John 19:30
Father, into your hands I commend my spirit. Luke 23:46

 At 3 pm we watched the live Stream Good Friday at St. John Cantius. I cannot even begin to remark on the absolute beauty of the music and the sacredness.

 The Passion was sung in various parts. The parts sung by the masses of people were sung by a choir in polyphony. Afterwards we joined them in the singing of the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

 Later we checked out the Veneration of the Crown of Thorns at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Very interesting. The violinist, soloist (sang an Ave Maria) and reader wore hazmat suits, this was seemingly dedicated to those who suffer due to the coronavirus pandemic.


Crown of Thorns relic

Although it is disappointing not to be able to attend Holy Week (or any) Masses in real life and receive Our Lord (It has felt like forever), God has blessed us abundantly with so many beautiful Masses, homilies, music. At least we have that. At other times in the History of the Church when Masses ceased or people could only receive once a year, etc... they did not have internet to live-stream (and record) truly beautiful Masses to help fill the void. Deo Gratias.



No comments:

Post a Comment