August 13, 2023

2023 - Tournament of Champions - Phoenix, AZ

I had not planned on going to Phoenix for the Tournament of Champions though I was in top 10 for forms, sparring, combat, weapons, creative forms and weapons and extreme forms.  However, life is funny as Pippin's sparring team won district championships. So, Pippin had to go. So, Aragorn told me just to go and do my thing. I opted out of the creative and xtreme and went for world titles in forms, weapons, combat, and sparring. Photos are out of order as forms and weapons were on the first day, combat and sparring on the 2nd day.

There were 1,500 competitors, the most in the history of ATA (American Taekwondo Association) history. You never lose, you either win or you learn. Winning is nice though! 😂

All spruced up to lose in the first round of combat
😂
(to be fair, it was a very close match)

Silver (2nd) in weapons (nunchucks)


Master Mike Moh and I before the competition.
I was SO nervous.


I came in 4th for forms. 

To compete is to win


Bronze (3rd) in sparring


Reversing a bit here, Pippin and I headed down to Chicago but made a pit stop at Kwik Trip. On our way back up the ramp was a flock of geese. I used to think they flew, but I guess they take the interstate now.

Pippin intrigued with the moving walkway

Then discovering how fast he could go.
First time flyer.


This awesome t-shirt was giving to me by a TaeKwonDo friend who made the transfer from her cricut. She gave it to me when I earned my 2nd degree black belt. There was talk of a gift *when* I got my world title, but alas, I didn't get a world title this year. Probably a good thing because the ones who did get them in my ring went crazy and clear over the moon with glee and delight. I would have enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything that would change who I actually want to be. You know, some identify as sloths and others identify as saints (wannabes 😂)

I'm laughing just thinking about Pippin and the airplane restroom experience.
He lucked out, no turbulence.






Phoenix was having an extreme heat wave.
Highest while we were there was 118.

Incidentally Pippin learned that cacti are sharp...
by experience.

Church across from the airbnb where we stayed


warming up in the fit room at the airbnb

Meanwhile back at home, there was actually some rain.
Rain. During a drought. Rain.

Belladonna selling her wares at a farmer's market
She is an amazing crochet artist.

Random photos from a TKD friend






























Sharp. Remember?





Rosie spent a week with Galadriel and family















Sparring team was out in the first round
but, they made it there so that in itself is a feat















No comments:

Post a Comment