April 21, 2011

Holy Thursday - Betrayal, Last Supper and First Mass

Now the feast of unleavened bread, which is called the pasch, was at hand. And the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might put Jesus to death: but they feared the people.
And Satan entered into Judas, who was surnamed Iscariot, one of the the twelve. And he went, and discoursed with the chief priests and the magistrates how he might betray him to them.
Luke Ch 22: 1-6
And [Judas] said to them: What will you give me, and I will deliver him unto you? But they appointed him thirty pieces of silver. And from thenceforth he sought opportunity to betray Him.
Matthew 26: 15-16
Per Christ's instruction, Peter and John go to prepare for the day of unleavened bread when the pasch should be killed.
(See Luke 22: 7-13)

The Last Supper
Foods they ate at the traditional Paschal Meal in remembrance of the first Pass-over meal:
Bitter Herbs - to remind them of bitterness and harshness of their slavery in Egypt.
Fruits and Nuts made into a paste to remind them of the mortar used by the Jewish slaves to build for the Egyptians
Another Vegetable like parsley dipped in salt water
Roasted Lamb - represents the sacrificial lamb offered in the Temple in sacrifice
Roasted Egg - represented the festival sacrifice in the Temple
Matza Bread - represents manna in the desert, one piece was saved for after the meal.

The Washing of Feet
And when supper was done, (the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, to betray him,) Knowing that the Father had given Him all things into His Hands, and that He came from God, and goes to God; He rose from supper, and layeth aside his garments, and having taken a towel, girded himself. After that, he put water into a basin, and began to wash the feet of the disciples, and to wipe thhem with the towel wherewith He was girded. He came therefore to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him: Lord, do you was my feet?

Jesus answered, and said to him, What I do you know not now; but you shall know hereafter. Peter said to Him: Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him: *If I wash thee not, thou shalt have no part with me.


Simon Peter said to him: Lord, not only my feet, but also my hands and my head. Jesus said to him: He that is washed, need not but to wash his feet, but is clean wholly. And you are clean, but not all. For He knew who he was that would betray him; therefore he said: You are not all clean.

Then after He had washed their feet, again, He said to them: Know you what I have done to you? You call me Master, and Lord; and you say well, for so I am. If then I being your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that as I have done to you, so you do also. Amen, mane I say to you: The servant is not greater than his lord; neither is the apostle greater than He that sent Him. If you know these things, you shall be blessed if you do them. I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen. But that the scripture may be fulfilled: He that eats bread with me, shall lift up his heel against me. ...Amen, amen I say to you, he that receives whomsoever I send, receives Me; and he that receives Me, receives Him that sent Me.


When Jesus had said these things, he was troubled in spirit and He testified and said, Amen, amen I say to you, one of you shall betray me.
John 13:2-21



But when it was evening, he sat down with his twelve disciples. And while they were eating, he said: Amen I say to you, that one of you is about to betray me. And they being very much troubled, began every one to say: It is I, Lord? But He answering, said: He that dips his hand with me into the dish, he shall betray me. The Son of man indeed goes, as it is written of him: but woe to that man shall be betrayed: it were better for him, if that man had not been born.

And Judas that betrayed him, answering, said: Is it I, Rabbi? He said to him:
Thou hast said it.
Matthew 26:20-25



Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him and said to him: Who is it of whom he speaks? He therefore, leaning on the breast of Jesus, said to Him: Lord, who is it? Jesus answered: He it is to whome I shall reach bread dipped. And when he had dipped the bread, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

And after the morsel, Satan entered into him. And Jesus said to him:
That which thou dost, do quickly.
John 13: 23-27




The First Mass



For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread and giving thanks, broke and said Take ye and eat: This is My Body, which shall be delivered for you. This do for the commemoration of Me.



In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood. This do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of Me. For as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the chalice, you shall show the death of the Lord, until He come.



Therefore, whosoever shall eat this bread or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the Body and of the Blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread and drink of the chalice. For he that east and drinks unworthily eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Body of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 11:23-29



My question is whether Judas recieve Holy Communion? Some say yes, some say no. My guess is no because from my limited understanding (which may be incorrect) the morsel that was dipped (I don't think) was consecrated by Our Lord but was of the old Jewish blessing and custom of dipping the morsel in the most savory drippings from the lamb, which was given as a great honor. (Our Lord bestowed the great Jewish honor on the one about to betray him?) Did Consecration of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of the Lord specifically happen immediately after Judas left the room? Life is so full of questions.



Either way, St. Paul is the one who gives us Our Lord's words of consecration and the institution of the sacred priesthood.



Today we celebrate the beautiful gift of His Body and Blood and is a very special feast day for all our priests.



And.... happy birthday to ME. I love it that I get to share this special feast with our wonderful priests... even if it is just a silly little thing like a birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you a VERY Happy Birthday!
    -and hopefully a nap :)
    love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete