● Greek letters for Mother of God, St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and Jesus Christ.
● Golden Crown added by order of the Holy See in 1867 as a token of the many miracles.
● Left Angel - St. Michael with the lance and gall-sop of Christ’s Passion.
● Right Angel - St. Gabriel with the cross and the nails
● Star on Our Lady's veil, as she is the Star Of the Sea who brought the light of Christ to the darkened world, the star that leads us to the safe port of Heaven.
● Mary's eyes are turned towards us and large for all our troubles.
● Mary's mouth is small for silent recollection.
● The red tunic is the color worn by virgins at the time of Christ. The dark blue mantle is the color worn by mothers in Palestine. Mary is both Virgin and Mother.
● Mary's left hand is supporting Christ possessively: She is his Mother. It is a comforting hand for everyone who calls on Her.
● Christ's hands are turned palms down into His Mother's to indicate that the Graces of Redemption are in Her keeping.
● Falling Sandal represents the soul clinging to Christ by one last thread and the haste to cling to the Mother of God.
● The golden background is symbolic of Heaven which shines through their clothing, showing heavenly joy for tired human hearts.
†Truly unfortunate are we poor children of Eve; for, guilty before God of her fault, and condemned to the same penalty, we have to wander about in this valley of tears as exiles from our country, and to weep over our many afflictions of body and soul. But blessed is he who, in the midst of these sorrows, often turns to the comfortress of the world, to the refuge of the unfortunate, to the great Mother of God, and devoutly calls upon her and invokes her!
St. Alphonsus Liguori