March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day


St. Patrick's Shamrock ~ O Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Read about the Serpents and the Sheep at Fisheaters.


My Grandma Maher died peacefully on St. Patrick's Day in 1981. She was a beautiful woman, truly faithful to God, a mother of 12 and grandma to... hmmm... somewhere around 50. Her cookie jar was always full... of molasses or sugar cookies.

My family is all Irish descent, both sides, so we grew up on Irish music. This one reminds me of my grandma...
*
Over in Killarney Many years ago,
Me Mither sang a song to me
In tones so sweet and low.
Just a simple little ditty,
In her good ould Irish way,
And l'd give the world if she could sing
That song to me this day.

Chorus:
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, hush now, don't you cry!
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral,
Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, that's an Irish lullaby.

Oft in dreams I wander
To that cot again,
I feel her arms a-huggin' me
As when she held me then.
And I hear her voice a -hummin'
To me as in days of yore,
When she used to rock me fast asleep
Outside the cabin door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's a tear in your eye,
And I'm wondering why,
For it never should be there at all.
With such pow'r in your smile,
Sure a stone you'd beguile,
So there's never a teardrop should fall.
When your sweet lilting laughter's
Like some fairy song,
And your eyes twinkle bright as can be;
You should laugh all the while
And all other times smile,
And now, smile a smile for me.

Chorus:
When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away.

For your smile is a part
Of the love in your heart,
And it makes even sunshine more bright.
Like the linnet's sweet song,
Crooning all the day long,
Comes your laughter and light.
For the springtime of life
Is the sweetest of all
There is ne'er a real care or regret;
And while springtime is ours
Throughout all of youth's hours,
Let us smile each chance we get.


1 comment:

  1. You realize that Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ra is actually an America song, right? My grandmother Cahillane died peacefully on St. Patrick's day 1998. She was surrounded by family and saw the angels coming. She prayed for all of us every day. She did not have a cookie jar of home made cookies. She had severe all arthritis all of my life (I was 33 when she died). She was what the Irish call "fey." We might call have called her prescient. She always knew if someone was having a problem without being told. I miss her. I hope she still is pryaing for me. :)

    ReplyDelete