August 8, 2013

Feast of St. John Vianney

Blessed is the rich man that is found without blemish: and that hath not gone after gold, nor put his trust in money nor in treasures.
Sirach

Today is one of our special feasts for our homeschool, Sts. Philip Neri & John Vianney Academy. So... happy feast day to us!

Just some quotes for the day from St. John Vianney.... I love his style! 

♥ The soul hungers for God, and nothing but God can satiate it. Therefore He came to dwell on earth and assumed a Body in order that this Body might become the Food of our souls.

♥ I throw myself at the foot of the Tabernacle like a dog at the foot of his Master.

♥ A mortal man, a creature, feeds himself, satiates himself, with his God,  taking him for his daily bread, his drink...  O miracle of miracles!...   O love of loves!... O joy of joys!

Saint Bernard tells us that everything has come to us through Mary; and we may also say that everything has come to us through the priest; yes, all happiness, all graces, all heavenly gifts. If we had not the Sacrament of Orders, we should not have Our Lord. Who placed Him there, in that tabernacle? It was the priest. Who was it that received your soul, on its entrance into life? The priest. Who nourishes it, to give it strength to make its pilgrimage? The priest. Who will prepare it to appear before God, by washing that soul, for the last time, in the blood of Jesus Christ? The priest – always the priest. And if that soul comes to the point of death, who will raise it up, who will restore it to calmness and peace? Again the priest. You cannot recall one single blessing from God without finding, side by side with this recollection, the image of the priest.

Only after the Last Judgment will Mary get any rest; from now until then, she is much too busy with her children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a bizarre aside....

My husband and I have this little odd ritual of watching an old Dr. Who's. Whos. Whose. Who Show in the evening.  I had never seen an old one before... actually I had never seen a new one either for that matter as I'm not a sci-fi type person... but I've grown to enjoy Dr. Who anyway... maybe it's the bow ties, I don't know.  But my first reaction when I saw the very first Dr. Who was.....


....  "It's St. John Vianney!"


No comments:

Post a Comment