August 19, 2018

Day 5 - Cemetery, Harriet Tubman, and William Seward

 Day 5 was Tuesday, July 24 and I started the day at Mass (Divine Liturgy) back at St. Peter and Paul. I was able to attend every day which was splendid.
 I love the sacred that is kept
 When I came out to NY I was on a mission to find the graves of a couple of friends of mine who had died in their youth.  One was David Coleman who died when their lawnmower blew up. It was so tragic. He was a few years younger than I but at a small school like Sts. Peter and Paul, we all knew each other.  He died at the tender age of about 14. I was in high school at the time.

 The above priest told me about the on-line source for information on where people are buried. So I was able to find a map to find the grave of my friend and classmate who had died when I was in 7th grade. I could hardly wait for the next day when I could visit her grave...

 Next we went to visit Harriet Tubman's House. She helped any number of slaves up from the south to the north.

 The man who gave the talk about her life was amazing. We laughed so hard!






 This house which we were able to tour but not take photos in, was not actually her house but the infirmary where she took care of elderly people.



The brick building is actually Harriet Tubman's home and is soon to be restored! I look forward to being able to visit that some day as well.
 From there we went to William Seward's House.  He was a friend of Harriet Tubman and also purchased Alaska for the USA.





 This buggy was Sewards and at one time he was in a freak accident and was in bad health. At this same time there was an assassination attempt on his life (the same time Lincoln, his good friend, was killed). Amazing story. You can read a short clip about it here.




 We had a great tour of this home. The parlor held many gifts from all over the world.
 I forget who sat here at one point when this chair was in Europe.

 Somehow I remember this bear holding umbrellas came from Germany.
 Then there was the library.


 I always like to find a piece of religion when I go on tours. Here is Christ!  However, they said he made no affiliation with any religion (bummer)
Seward's daughter Fanny's library. She died young and he made a special case just to preserve her books.



 Famous painting of the purchasing of Alaska "in the dark"


 The pictures on the wall were like "trading photos". Seward traveled the world around and would give a photo of himself in exchange for the photo of the person he was visiting.

 This globe was taller than me

 HAHA the in-room toilet.
 Anyone know what this little box is?


 Seward was close friends with Lincoln and due to the attempt on his life, we was unable to attend Lincoln's funeral. They preserved some flowers from the funeral, put them in this frame and sent it to Seward.
 These men were hung due to their assassination attempts on Seward, Grant and I forget the other one, on the same day (?) as Lincoln's death.

 I thought this was plain old comical!! Fan Flirtations!
 We weren't overly impressed with Fanny's dress!

This was the original kitchen and later, when the kitchen was moved upstairs, became the hiding place for the underground railroad.

 Then it was back to Skaneateles Lake for fun with family. This dead animal came floating up. We weren't exactly sure what it was. A cat, a rat?

Ducks, of course

Polly trying to catch  a duckling 




 The weather wasn't the best but we found plenty of time to enjoy the lake between storms.

 Dinners were always delicious
 Lots of games.


No comments:

Post a Comment