August 11, 2010

Happy Feast of St. Claire

I have never subscribed fondly to the fact that there is a Traditional Calendar and a New Calendar in the Church. I have never found one good reason for it but to cause confusion. In the New Calendar her feast is celebrated today and in the Traditional Calendar it is celebrated tomorrow. Since she is a favorite of mine, I will celebrate twice :)
They say that we are too poor, but can a heart which possesses the infinite God be truly called poor?
St. Claire

I absolutely fell in love with St. Francis and St. Claire of Assisi after reading The Perfect Joy of St. Francis. If you have not read the book, I highly recommend it.


Claire gets her hair cut off by St. Francis.

Claire receives the veil from St. Francis.

I love these two pictures of St. Claire with the Monstrance during the attack.

Imagine what kind of strength of character she must have had.

I was so delighted to find this picture. If you have read The Little Flowers of St. Francis you will recognize this scene! Or at least it reminded me of the scene anyway.
I can only imagine that when St. Francis died that St. Claire must have experienced an extrememly deep form of poverty of spirit.


And just because I'm sentimental, these are their garbs, St. Francis' habit, St. Claire's white gown and her habit. I can actually say I saw these in real life having been blessed to spend Christmas in Rome my senior year in college. Assisi was definitely a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment