June 16, 2019

2019 June 16 - Just Highlights of Milan

I took 200 pictures and several videos so I'm  going to wait to post them when I get hom because it takes so long to resize so many. Here are some highlights.

 After breakfast at the hotel, we walked to where we were going to attend Mass. Since we had a lot of time to kill we walked up to the Sforza Castle
We visited San Marco Church on the way

 SQUEEL! A Caravaggio painting! The Deposition. I was delighted. I believe Caravaggio is my all time favorite artists (though I do like others).
 The Castle was beautiful


 Where the moat would have been if it still had water in it.

 We attended an Ambrosian Rite Mass. It was absolutely glorious!!! The singing was beautiful (You can hear a small clip before). It is a very unique Mass. I was able to get along quite well because so much overlaps with the TLM. But it was just stupendous. So prayerful and just plain beautiful. Wish there was one close to home.


 We walked over to the church where the Last Supper is, but it's sold out for 2 weeks with no cancellations. But that's alright (I did try to get tickets when we first organized this trip but it's hard to get into.

 The church was beautiful but it is forbidden to take photos so I didn't dare. But want to look up later as St. Catherine of Siena's Pallum is in the visitor's chapel as well as a lovely painting.
 Then we went over to the Leonardo da Vinci science museum. It was great!
 Showing the link between art and science..


 CERN!
 We went inside the submarine to find out half way through that we weren't supposed to be in there without a hard hat and a guide. Our lucky day, we got to see in it. It was really neat, but not something I'd want to be underwater in!


 Then we went to Sant'Ambroggio which I have wanted to go in since our last trip.

 So, St. Ambrose built this church atop the tomb of Sts. Gervase and Protase. He then was supposed to be buried with them per his request. But there were only 2 in the tomb.
 I finally figured it out by noticing a 3rd set of feet. St. Ambrose is between them. The circle around the tomb was closed otherwise it is clearer to figure out. I prayed for my God Son Ambrose at this tomb.

 Stopped for a Panini (notice our expensive business dinners are over, but these are so good, who cares! I also got an extracted juice and Tom got an ice tea
 After going back to the hotel to rest our weary feet we went out to the Cemetery. We bought a 48 hour bus/train ticket so we can get around with less walking for the duration of our trip. First visit was this AMAZING cemetery. I love cemeteries.
 You have the drawer tombs. And there were colossal tombs with great big statues
 This one I though was lovely!
 Then you have a mini church which were family tombs. It was like walking through a tiny city with little churches.
We got some (paper thin) pizza for dinner.


From the Ambrosian Rite (Milanese Rite) Mass. Glorious!

No comments:

Post a Comment