June 14, 2019

2019 - Lecco Italy


I must have stepped in something as I got a bad rash on my feet (but not under the straps. Thankfully a little gel of some kind stopped the burning.
We took a train up to Lecco, a quaint little town in the alps. The author of "The Betrothed", Manzoni, is from this town and wrote the book here. I believe there are a couple movies after this book.





Let the adventure begin!
A dog made out of sand?!
It was glorious down by the water!













A bit odd but St. Nicholas is the patron saint of Lecco and out in the water is a gold statue of him. No idea why the statue is in the water.









We stopped for a mozzarella Panini and a cup of tea for me and coffee for Tom.


The man who owned the shop was just the nicest cutest old man.
Trampoline in the park

Then we decided we'd take the cable car up but it was going to be an hour and half walk. However, it wasn't an hour and a half it was 3 hours. It was long and hot but lovely. I'll let the photos tell the story mostly.






cemetery



fresco of Our Lord
by the way, no churches were open :(
 



 Another cemetery
 Little shrine
 






 Nice fresco of St. George on the side of his church.





 No joke, this was the road. Via Resgone. Up. Up. Up.
 This little grotto made us quite happen, it even included water with a sign inviting to drink as she did St. Bernadette. By this time we were nearly dying.












 The road goes ever onward.
 Another little wayside shrine.
 
 I wondered if this was suppose to be Our Lady undoer of knots but I didn't see a knot, maybe their knot was undone.
 We don't do selfies but we did right now because we were so hot and sweaty and very picturesque... I wanted to post somewhere saying we were dying on the side of a mountain.
 Another nice fresco.
 Another intriguing church that was locked. Surely no one would ever go this far up and rob a church even if left open all the time.

 
 

 Finally a sign. I was just hoping I wasn't going to have to slide down a cable as pictured.


 
 


 YAY, WE MADE IT.

 Enjoying much needed water and the sprite we split for some sugar. We did not die though. It might be noted that we bought return bus tickets.
 Ready to go up the cable car.












 


 We walked around for a while, it was lovely up there. It used to be a ski hill but they didn't get enough snow so it could only be open a few weeks in the winter.












 Powerade was needed.


 Interestingly, the 3 hour walk up, took 15 minutes to get down by bus...
 Tractor and round bales downtown
 I think this might be the villa where Manzoni wrote his book. (I speak like I heard of him before this day)



 We made it back and felt we should do an Italian chocolate taste test. Score, very yummy
 We've enjoyed speaking over the computer with the children every day

 Apertivo of chips and salsa, peaches, apricots, and other nibbles and beet with lemon (that improves beer immensely but I still don't like beer, but best I've had I'm quite sure)
 We had a meter of pizza for dinner.

 No joke, American pizza has French fries and hotdogs on it.
 Neopolitan pizza (and there was tuna but I was too full)
 I decided to try the American pizza. Please note, french-fries and hot dogs do not belong on a pizza. I ate them off first and then ate the pizza with the marvelous crust.
 
 
Video of Lecco (and an old ski hill) from Mount Erna.

Blooper video

No comments:

Post a Comment