February 19, 2012

Quinquagesima Sunday

So.... are you prepared... today is Quinquagesima Sunday... the Sunday before Ash Wednesday. I've been reminding you for 2 weeks now to prepare for Lent. Now I will admit when I went to confession this week the priest asked regarding whether I was ready for Lent and I really rather said, "I dunno". So I got on that. I am just about ready to dive into Lent.
Reading: The Passion and Death of Jesus Christ by St. Alphonsus Liguori
Areas of Self-discipline and sacrifice you don't want to know about
Still working through the specifics for each of the children... what they will read, what they will work on but it's almost there.  The follow through with the double digit number of children is phenomenal.
Our family read-aloud continues: St. Joan of Arc.

So, what sacrifices, that is gifts of love, will you offer to God this Lent?

Brethren, If I speak wih the tongues of men and of Angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.
And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely, is not puffed up,
Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil:
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth:
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
Charity never falleth away...

1Cor13
Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me

At that time Jesus took unto Him the twelve men and said to them: Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things shall be accomplished which were written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man.
For he shall be delivered to the Gentiles and shall be mocked and scourged and spit upon.
And after they have scourged him, they will put him to death. And the third day he shall rise again.
And they understood none of these things, and this word was hid from them: and they understood not the things that were said.
Luke 18:  31-34




No comments:

Post a Comment